Have you thought of thought of all the little details?
Here's the top 3 things folks think about when they start prepping:
What are you prepping for?
Who are you prepping for?
How are you prepping?
You need to address more than food, shelter, and safety. ESPECIALLY if you have children! Do you have books? Do you have a way to teach your family new skills? DO you have entertainment that doesn't require batteries or electronics? If the lights go out today forever, How can you keep your family functioning as normally as possible? Do you have routines that will be able to be maintained to give comfort to your children? What about clothing are you stocking the next couple of sizes up? shoes?
Something as simple as a grandfather clock or mantle clock (that doesn't require external source of power) can make a huge difference for "normal" Why? Even if the grid crashes our grandfather clock will continue to keep time and chime. This simple background noise of the tick tocking and chiming brings a subconcious level of reassurance to our children, and to us.
In the 1950s Dr. Maslow, published a famous paper on humans hierarchy of needs. It was adapted/updated in the 70's to be more in tune with the current times. After solid research, and the trending of human behavior which is always evolving this hierarchy of needs was again updated in the 1990s and I've provided it here let's review:
1990s adapted hierarchy of needs including transcendence needs - free diagram and free doc diagram
1. Biological and Physiological needs - air, food, drink, shelter, warmth, sex, sleep, etc.
2. Safety needs - protection from elements, security, order, law, limits, stability, etc.
3. Belongingness and Love needs - work group, family, affection, relationships, etc.
4. Esteem needs - self-esteem, achievement, mastery, independence, status, dominance, prestige, managerial responsibility, etc.
5. Cognitive needs - knowledge, meaning, etc.
6. Aesthetic needs - appreciation and search for beauty, balance, form, etc.
7. Self-Actualization needs - realising personal potential, self-fulfillment, seeking personal growth and peak experiences.
8. Transcendence needs - helping others to achieve self actualization.
Most folks that are prepping for TEOTWAWKI are stuck on 1 & 2 of the above needs. You have to consider that to LIVE, not just EXIST your body, mind and soul must be fed.
Body ~ covered in the above needs 1 & 2
Mind ~ covered in the above needs 3, 4 & 5
Soul ~ covered in the above needs 6, 7 & 8
TEOTWAWKI ~ What will it take for you and your family to do more than just survive? Only you can answer that question. You know your family better than anyone else.
Remember you are the expert on your family.